Spitzbergen Locations

Archive Image
User Comments:
• The foreman's barrack in Longyear City, built 1913. Behind it is the company staff house. The company's 1913 annual report reads: A concrete foremen's house, with 14 bedrooms, was started, and will be finished in October. (Arctic Coal Company Annual Report, October 1, 1912 to August 31, 1913, Scott Turner, General Manager, Michigan Technological University Archives and Copper Country Historical Collections, Longyear Collection, Box 4, Folder 13.)'Spitzbergen' is also spelled 'Spitsbergen,' and is now known as 'Svalbard.'"
3/5/2008 6:46:15 PM by cchartne, Svalbard Researcher