Delaware Mine Rock House

Archive Image
User Comments:
• The locomotive shown here is one of two engines owned by the Conglomerate Mining Company. Information in the Herman Page Collection indicates that two engines were manufactured for the Conglomerate Mining Company in 1883 for use on their railroad running from the mine site at present-day Delaware Location to their smelter at Lac La Belle. At some point this line was known as the Lac La Belle and Calumet Railroad. The engines were built by the Baldwin company with a 2-8-0 configuration. According to the Page Collection (Box 2, Folder 35) one of the engines (#1 built in May 1883 / Baldwin #6749) was later sold to the Hines Lumber Company of Wisconsin. The other engine (#2 built in July 1883 / Baldwin #6733) continued in service with the Keweenaw Central Railroad and was later sold and moved to the Hoosac Tunnel and Wilmington Railroad (formerly known as the Deerfield River Railroad). Photographs from the Smithsonian of the engine in HT&W designation are included in the Herman Page Collection, Box 2, Folder 36.
5/20/2008 10:32:19 AM by Erik Nordberg, MTU Archivist