Buildings - Walls Building

Archive Image
User Comments:
• This photograph must be circa 1900, and definitely before 1908.The 1901-1902 Polk Directory listings for Calumet indicate that Skelly & Co. was operated by Thomas Skelly and Charles Skelly. Their business is described as Wholesale Cigars and Specialties" and the address given in this year is 404 Oak Street. This same directory includes a listing for the C.W. Gale bicycle shop at 402 Oak and a listing for G.F. Mather at 400 Oak (the latter is listed under "Dyers & Cleaners" in the business directory at the back of the volume).A quick check of the 1900 Sanborn fire insurance map for Red Jacket shows a building at the Southwest corner of Oak and Fourth Streets which includes a reference to a "dyer" as one of the tennants (there is no reference to either the cigar or bicycle businesses). By 1908, the building is gone.The 1907-1908 Polk Directory for Calumet lists both Charles & Joseph Skelly as "removed to Minneapolis, Minn." Seems as if this building would have stood on the corner of Fourth and Oak, directly behind what is now Hermann Jewelers (which may be the edge of the building to the right in this photo)."
7/21/2006 9:07:29 AM by Erik Nordberg, MTU Archivist