Browse Subjects

Thumbnail Subject(s) Description Add to Shoebox

Buildings - Fire Stations

Buildings, Public Buildings, Fire Stations, Persons, Manners and Customs, Clothing and Dress The first fire station built in Calumet. Red Jacket Fire Dept. [Fire department members stand outside of the building with their horse-drawn fire equipment. Two dogs also join the group.]

Scanned: January 31, 2008


Buildings - Houghton Fire Hall

Buildings, Public Buildings, Fire Stations, Persons, Houghtons firebell which goes way back to the year 1884, in contrast to the buildings construction which was in 1883. The building really is a shrine in that it is the birthplace of Michigan Tech which saw its nucleus in 1885. Initially, the "hood" was removed and then the long arm of the crane reached over a line for the bell which according to Chief Chappel, weighs about half a ton. The bell was then placed in the bucket of an end loader and transferred to the south Houghton area firehall. In the cab of the loader is James Lightfoot of the Houghton city crew and in the foreground are, from left, Chief James Chappell, Fred Mattila, Dan Cote and Al Carr. [Image of the bell in the end loader bucket.]

Scanned: January 26, 2009


Buildings - Houghton Fire Hall

Buildings, Public Buildings, Fire Stations, Persons, Revealed here are some of the men who scampered about the top of the old Continental fire hall as though they were jack rabbits. According to Chief James Chappell, these men contributed to the removal of the bell. Some are shown at the top of the former steeple which also, at one time, housed a clock somewhat similar to the one now telling the time of day in Hancock. They are Fred Mattila, Butch Keranen, Al Messner, Jackie Heikkinen, Fred Sargent, Chickie Hannon and James Lightfoot. Seven of the 18 men of the department participated in the bell's removal. [Image of the men and removal equipment at the top of the fire hall.]

Scanned: January 26, 2009