Browse Subjects

Thumbnail Subject(s) Description Add to Shoebox

Quincy Mine Location - Structures at No. 4

Buildings, Metal Trade, Copper Industry and Trade, Copper Mines and Mining, Persons 1895 No. 4. Shaft house (foreground); 1895 No. 2 shaft rockhouse in the distance.

Scanned: September 11, 2008


Pewabic Copper Mine

Buildings, Metal Trade, Copper Industry and Trade, Copper Mines and Mining, Persons Pewabic Copper Mine [Stereoview card with two side-by-side photos showing shaft house and ore skip.]

Scanned: November 13, 2009


Photographs of the Calumet and Hecla Mines

Metal Trade, Copper Industry and Trade, Copper Mines and Mining, Buildings, Persons Ahmeek 3 & 4 Shaft. Collar House [Interior view of the collar house. The term refers to the lower portion of the shaft house which surrounds the shaft collar and contains the skin and mancar switching facilities.]

Scanned: November 9, 2009


Photographs of the Calumet and Hecla Mines

Metal Trade, Copper Industry and Trade, Copper Mines and Mining, Buildings, Persons Ahmeek 1 & 2 Shafts. Machine and smith shops. [Interior view of the shop showing lots of equipment and some of the workers.]

Scanned: November 9, 2009


Calumet & Hecla Rock House

Metal Trade, Copper Industry and Trade, Copper Mines and Mining, Buildings, Persons First Hecla Rock House. [Exterior view of the rock house. A man dressed in a suit leans against one of the ore cars.]

Scanned: September 17, 2009


AIME and Quincy Shafthouse

Historic Sites, Historic Mines, Persons, Buildings Just a few of the more than 100 visitors who took part in the deliberations of the AIME, (American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical and Petroleum Engineers) are shown in front of old Quincy shafthouse No. 2. This group toured the interior of the building to look over the big Nordberg engine which formerly hoisted skips from the diggings' 9,300 foot depths. Discussions at a later Michigan Tech Union meeting indicated the AIME will try to preserve the building as a museum. Included in the negotiations is one of the old locomotives (a former H&C) which is currently in the round house. A portion of the narrow gauge track to Mason also is in the deal. The executive group of the organization was empowered to analyze the situation further and report at the next meeting. Delegates to the sessions came from Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Ontario, Canada. [Dean Meese poses with members of the committee.]

Scanned: October 10, 2007


Calumet & Hecla Shafts

Metal Trade, Copper Industry and Trade, Copper Mines and Mining, Buildings, Persons Hecla Shafts from Red Jacket Road down Mine Street. [View of the shafts looking down a barren road devoid of trees and grass.]

Scanned: September 17, 2009


Quincy Mining Company - Technological Support Facilities at the Mine Location (Railroads, Machine Shops, Blacksmith Shops, Dry Houses, Compressor and Boiler Houses Plus General Views of the Mine.

Buildings, Metal Trade, Copper Industry and Trade, Copper Mines and Mining, Persons Old Pewabic boiler/hoist house revamped in 1907 to serve as QMC's No. 6 dry house. C. 1910.

Scanned: September 24, 2008


Quincy Mining Company No. 2 Shaft House

Metal Trade, Copper Industry and Trade, Copper Mines and Mining, Buildings, Persons [Exterior view of the shaft house showing its many gables.]

Scanned: March 25, 2011